Monday, October 20, 2008

Dulce de Leche, or Doce de Leite, Pie

This pie was created last night when I wanted to make something to bring over to someone's house. Yes, I do try out new recipes on unsuspecting audiences! A cooking friend of mine told me she does the same thing, and tells people "Well, if it's bad, I don't want to get stuck with all of it!" Lol- I like that!
At the local grocery stores, I spotted "Cozido" sweetened condensed milk, or "cooked" sweetened condensed milk. Then, in little print, it was labeled "Doce de Leite". Yay! I've been looking for Dulce de Leche, or Doce de Leite, ever since arriving here. Maybe it's seasonal here, as I just found it last week. Either way, I'm happy, and bought about 6 cans of it. ;) When we first brought it home, I cracked open a can and ate some with a spoon. Don't get me wrong; I did try to restrain myself at first, but gradually gave in to the evil side.

I wanted to somehow incorporate Doce de Leite into a pie, and I thought the easiest way to do that would be to make a firm pudding and use that as the pie filling. I have limited ingredients on hand, and a communal kitchen (sounds so gross, doesn't it?) with hardly any equipment. So, I made a pudding using flour, milk, and eggs, and then added a can of The Good Stuff after I took it off the heat. I used only 2 tablespoons of sugar, because the doce de leite is super sweet. Depending on how sweet you want it, you could add another tablespoon of sugar. I used 1% milk too; 2% or even the forbidden whole would make this pudding a little firmer-set.

I know you're loving my Halloween paper plates, by the way.

Doce de Leite Pie

2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 1/3 cup milk
2 large egg yolks, beaten
3 tablespoons salted butter
1 397 g (about 14 oz) can Dulce de Leche, or Doce de Leite
1 prepared cookie crumb pie crust
2-3 tablespoons Dulce de Leche, or Doce de Leite

In a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom, whisk together brown sugar and flour. Turn the heat on to medium. Whisk in the milk slowly. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly whisk in the egg yolks until smooth. Add the butter and the can of Doce de Leite. Whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared pie crust. Cool 3 hours or until set. Just before serving, drizzle additional Doce de Leite over pie. A ziplock bag with the corner snipped out works well for this.
Your saucepan may not be the only one with a heavy bottom after this! Sorry, couldn't resist!!

11 comments:

Pam said...

This looks fantastic. My mouth is watering! I love dulce de leche.

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

That pie looks great! was it as good as it looks?

Enjoyed teh tour of the castle too...too cool!

LadyJayPee said...

Gimme somma that pie! :) What is the middle of it like...sort of like pecan pie filling?

What a Dish! said...

It's just like firm pudding, JPee. :D

Larissa said...

Yum! Dulce de leche ANYTHING is delicious.

Anonymous said...

Well, moving overseas didn't hurt your creativity. It looks wonderful. All this in a communal kitchen. I am impressed.

Elly Rose

Linda said...

Oh my that looks yummy Dishy! Love the heavy bottom comment. :-)

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

mmmmmmmmmm.... I wanted to lick my computer over the pic on the plate!

Anonymous said...

Oh Good Lord Dishy! That looks too yummy!'Jam

Shelby said...

This looks delicious. Lord knows I don't need a heavy bottom though. ;)

Wservir said...

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Octávio
www.petitchef.com