Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When Eating Out in a Different Country.....

.....And you don't fully understand the language, be careful of what you order in restaurants! We went out to lunch today at a seaside cafe, and I ordered some random fish from the "Piexe" (fish) section. Or, what I thought was fish. It turned out to be baby octopus.... innocent, little, baby octopus. I was stunned when they brought it out, but didn't say anything because I felt like a dork for ordering something when I wasn't even sure of what it was. Then I remembered that I had seen the word for octopus (polvo) which is similar to the Spanish word pulpo. Oh well! Now I'll never forget the word for octopus!

After my husband bravely tried a bite, he said it was really good, like really tender grilled chicken. I ended up trying (and liking) it- it was tender, not rubbery at all, and it was grilled, so it had that nice flavor. It's not something I'll rush to eat again though, because just the idea of eating it is wierd to me.....

We also tried Caldo Verde, the famous Portuguese cabbage/sausage soup. It was good- but I want to try doing it at home.
On our way home, we saw some really cool hydrangeas. They are everywhere here right now, in all colors (blue, pink, yellow, white) but this area is the only place I'd seen them in colors this deep. (It's hard for my crappy camera to capture the deep beautiful colors of these flowers... they looked more brilliant in real life).

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

8 comments:

Sonya said...

Wow just look at that octopus! I've only had it deep fried in small pieces and actually liked that. I"m not sure if I could handle it coming out that way..lol How small was it? like palm sized? price wise,does it cost alot aswell?

Hydrageas are beautiful aren't they! mine ar blooming in the backyard and they are a lovely shade of blueish/pink/purple.

What a Dish! said...

Sonya- it was a little bigger than palm size, only because the tentacles were long! It was 10 Euros- about $14 or so.

The Winwards said...

Wow, the food looks good. I think I would try octopus if it was just as Tim described. I have been looking for the hydrangeas too. I haven't been by that house yet though. I'll keep looking this summer.

Linda said...

Dishy, I'm glad you ended up liking it after all. I love reading about your adventures. ;)

I've never heard of yellow hydrangeas--what a beautiful place you live in.

LadyJayPee said...

I haven't heard of yellow hydrangeas either, but those in the photo are stunning. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

Anonymous said...

You're brave, Dishy! Great photos.
Kathye

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

Eeecck.. I'm a pretty brave eater and I'm not sure I could eat it still in whole form - but chopped up??

Such beautiful flowers! And I love the color of the house, it seems to "fit" with the beauty of the landscape. It'd kinda look funny here in WA with the sagebrush, right Dishy? ;)

Shelby said...

I agree Dish, you were brave. I don't think I could have done it.