Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tarte Flambée or Flammkuchen

Tarte Flambée, or Flammkuchen, is a dish from the Alsace region of France. The French word is Tarte Flambée, and here in Germany they call it Flammkuchen. It's a very simple and delicious dish. It is an extremely thin crust pizza, topped with crème fraîche, a shredded white cheese, and onions and bacon.

For my homemade version, I just bought some pre-baked Flammkuchen crusts from the grocery store, and topped them with some crème fraîche I got in France, some German shredded white cheese (I forgot what kind I used- oops!), and some cooked bacon. I omitted the usual onions that are supposed to top this dish, and used fresh chives on top after it came out of the oven. (I thought it would be more kid-friendly without the onions). It was delicious and flavorful.

We had this last night for dinner with Insalata Caprese (using heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil from a plant I just bought), and a fruit salad. We had bought some local berries earlier (strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) and we mixed them with some delicous, creamy, German vanilla-bean yogurt. Everything was very good!
.
Tarte Flambée or Flammkuchen
.
2 pre-made Flammkuchen crusts (or roll out pizza dough as thin as possible)
1 cup (or a little more) crème fraîche
2 cups shredded white, mild cheese
8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
4 tablespoons fresh snipped chives

Preheat oven as hot as it will go. Place crusts on pizza pan or stone. Spread the crusts with crème fraîche, and top with shredded cheese. Then sprinkle bacon on top, and cook until cheese is starting to brown and bubble; 5-10 minutes (depending on the heat of your oven). Remove from oven, and top with fresh chives. Serve immediately.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

7 comments:

Sonya said...

Oooh wow...I am sooo in love with Creme Fraiche..I dont know if I can find the flammkuchen here..but obviously I can if I go over into germany. Thanks for the recipe!!! Would I buy it in the cold section then?

What a Dish! said...

Sonya, yes, the crust was in the cold section with the refrigerated pasta and stuff like that. The crust was almost like a huge tortilla... lol.

I love creme fraiche too! I cant' find it where I live, so I love coming over here where it's readily available. :)

Linda said...

Wow, Dish, you are such an international cook! I am so enjoying my new vicarious European lifestyle! :))

The Flammkuchen just looks amazing. The German vanilla bean yogurt sounds so good.

LadyJayPee said...

That looks wonderful, Dishy! Um, if you don't mind me butting in :) it's pretty easy to make creme fraiche...stir together 1/2c heavy cream (not ultra-pasteurized) & 1/2c whole sour cream in glass bowl; cover & let stand at room temp for 12 hours. Stir & refrigerate for minimum of 24hrs before serving. Keep leftovers refrigerated.

If you do mind me butting in, please feel free to delete this comment. :)

What a Dish! said...

I never mind your butts, JPee! :D

sjcoulibaly said...

Just wanted to add that you forgot an ingredient: onions (zwiebeln). Very important for the authentic taste for that region.

What a Dish! said...

Thanks Stephanie, but I included fresh chives to get that onion flavor.