Saturday, November 21, 2009

Smoky Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

Here is a yummy ranch dressing, using Spanish smoked paprika, and lots of garlic!  I first saw this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens, and then a few of my cooking friends were talking about it.  When Eating, Etc. made it a few months ago, I was reminded of how much I wanted to make it. 

With two raw cloves of garlic, this was almost too strong, garlic-wise, for me and my fam, and I love garlic!  Next time, I'd use just one clove.  It was fun to use my new mortar and pestle for the first time with this recipe!  (It did take a while and a bit of muscle to mash the garlic and salt... I thought it would be easier!)  I used a coarse Portuguese Flor de Sal, for added flavor, and to help the garlic grind down easier. 
Smoky Buttermilk Ranch Dressing

1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup mayonnaise (good-quality)
1/3 cup sour cream (I used light)
2 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1) Place minced garlic & salt in mortar bowl & mash together with pestle into a paste.

2) In a medium bowl, whisk together garlic paste with remaining ingredients.  (For best results, shake everything together in a jar). 
3) Toss with your fave salad fixings.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Yum! this looks awesome. I cant believe that they don't sell ranch in the netherlands. I make my own now but I still find it odd.

I;ve never tried smoked paprika before. Im going to hunt around for it at the store!