Monday, October 18, 2010

Chai Tea Mix

I finally tried making Chai Tea, and loved it!  I love the warm spicy flavors.  I have a lot of Ginger Herbal tea bags in my house, so I mixed the Chai tea mix with a warm cup of Ginger tea, and sweetened it with Lyle's Golden Syrup.  (Love that stuff!)  I added some warm milk too- it was SO good!  I made this on a rainy morning last week when I had a slight cold, and the warm drink really made me feel better.  A few nights later, I made this for my whole family and they all loved it too. 

Unfortunatley, I don't have a spice grinder.  I thought I could use my mortar and pestle, but that was not cutting it.  Finally I settled on all pre-ground spices from my spice collection, and it was still so good.  I can't imagine how much better this would be if I were able to grind all of my own spices.  If you do have a spice grinder though, use it for this recipe!  I halved this recipe when I made it last week, but I'll post the full recipe below.

Chai Tea Mix

1 Tbs. whole black peppercorns (or 1 Tbs. fine-ground black pepper)
1 Tbs. cardamom seeds (or 1 Tbs. ground cardamom)
1 Tbs. whole cloves (or 1 Tbs. ground cloves)
2-3 cinnamon sticks (or 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon)
1/3 c ground ginger
favorite hot tea
milk & sugar or honey, to taste

1) Place peppercorns, cardamom seeds, whole cloves, & cinnamon stick in grinder and grind until very fine.

2) Stir in ground ginger.  (If you don't own a spice grinder, just mix all of the pre-ground spices together).

3) Store in tightly sealed container.

4) Place about 1/4 tsp of mixture in cup of hot tea; allow to steep for a few minutes.

5) Add milk & sweetener, as desired.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com **

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh wow I have always wanted to try this! I see recipes using the mix all the time and of course they don't sell that where I am. Thanks for this recipe!!!

P.S. I just LOVE that cup and plate!

What a Dish! said...

You should try it Sonya!! It is SO good- I just open up the container and smell it sometimes. About the cup & plate- they're from Japan- my son's teacher used to live there and gave these to me- I love them too!