Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Bread & Muffins

With my fresh pumpkin puree, I made both pumpkin bread and muffins.  I used an Allrecipes recipe that I like and have used before, because it calls for a fresh sugar pumpkin.  I think this recipe was what got me started making my own puree, since directions for that are included in the orginal recipe.

This recipe makes quite a large amount of batter.  I am able to make 12 muffins and one loaf (8x4 or 8x5, I believe) out of this recipe.  I added chocolate chips to the batter, but feel free to leave them out.  I'm going to try chopped white chocolate next time!  Feel free to sub some whole wheat, or whole wheat pastry flour, in for some of the white flour. 

These weren't terribly popular with my kids, but the friends they had over LOVED them!  ;)
Note:  I made these again a week later, and this time, I used chopped white chocolate instead of chocolate chips (200g).  They were SO good- I'd definitely do them again with the white chocolate instead.  I liked them a lot more, and my kids did too.  I gave some away and they were a big hit too, people said they had never thought of using white chocolate in pumpkin muffins before. 


Pumpkin Bread and/or Muffins
adapted from Allrecipes

2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (can used canned)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice (optional... I never have this)
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 eggs
chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate, optional (most of a 10 oz. bag or 200 grams chopped)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 24 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners (or, prepare 12 muffin cups and one 8x5 loaf pan).

2.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together 2 cups pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, applesauce, and eggs. Stir pumpkin mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Add optional chocolate chips.  Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.

3.  .Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com **

2 comments:

Linda said...

Gosh they look delicious--wonder why your kids didn't like them? You are inspiring me to make my own puree. ;)

What a Dish! said...

Linda, I made them again, this time w/white choc. chunks instead of the dark chips, and everyone liked them a lot more.