Thursday, March 24, 2011

Orange French Toast

This french toast is tasty and rich.  It was made even better by the usage of tender Portuguese sweet bread-yummmm.  The original recipe calls for heavy whipping cream, but I find that half and half works just fine (I had some to use up).  Whole milk would probably work too... for that matter, any milk would probably be just fine!! 

We had this for dinner the other day with fried eggs.  I don't like calling them "fried" eggs, as that just sounds bad... I cook them with just a tiny bit of butter or cooking spray, so they're not really "fried", but I don't know what else to call them.  Anyway, this french toast was a hit and was gone very quickly.  This is the second time I've made this recipe and I loved it both times.  Serve with a tiny bit of maple syrup, if desired, but don't cover up the OJ flavor! 

Orange French Toast
adapted from Allrecipes

1 loaf French bread, Portuguese sweet bread, or Hawaiian sweet bread
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup half and half, or heavy whipping cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar (optional... I omitted this)
1 dash ground nutmeg
butter, for greasing griddle
confectioners' sugar for dusting

1.Cut loaf ends off and reserve for another use. Cut remaining loaf into 1 inch slices.

2.In a large bowl, combine orange juice, half and half or cream, eggs, ground cinnamon and white sugar, if using.  In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Dip bread slices into egg mixture; add bread slices to hot skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.  Dust generously with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That looks like an excellent breakfast. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog starting tonight and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your french toast up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com