Friday, March 4, 2011

Yeast-Raised Waffles

I really, really, really loved these waffles.  They are, first of all, easy, but that's not really why I love them.  They are light, fluffy, and crisp at the same time.  They are amazing!!  I even used half whole wheat pastry flour and they were still incredible!  They only use one bowl; not the annoying 3 bowls like a lot of recipes.  You can make them the night before for breakfast, or in the morning for dinner later.  (We had them for dinner).  I will be making these again, that's for sure!  The recipe seems to make quite a few, too- I have a round waffle maker, making pretty much plate-sized waffles, and the waffles just kept coming!  They are so good with just butter and real maple syrup.  Plus, the yummy yeast smell while they're cooking is intoxicating.

Note:  I made these again 6/12, and reduced the butter by half.  So, I used 1/4 cup melted butter instead of the 1/2 cup, and they were just as good!  I am changing the recipe below to 1/4 cup melted butter.
Yeast-Raised Waffles

1/2 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 cups milk, warmed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used one cup whole wheat pastry)
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1.  Use a rather large mixing bowl -- the batter might rise a bit.  Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes, until yeast dissolves. Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar and flour to the yeast and beat until smooth and blended. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature. (Batter will be thin).

2.  Just before cooking the waffles, stir in the eggs; add the baking soda and stir until well mixed. Cook on a very hot waffle iron and bake until the waffles are golden and crisp to the touch.

Note: If there is any leftover batter, store in a covered container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several days.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

2 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Yum! I love waffles for dinner.

LadyJayPee said...

I wonder what buttermilk would do to these. I like to freeze leftover waffles for toaster waffles later. I look forward to trying them!