Friday, June 10, 2011

Crabmeat and Corn Soup

How about a break from the constant carb bombardment?!  This soup is delicious.  I'm not sure if it's actually a chowder or bisque or what; the recipe title is just "soup".  So, soup it is.  It's thick and rich, and I even modified the recipe and do not use any half and half.  I first tried this recipe back when we lived in Washington State and bought whole, fresh Dungeness crabs.  I think we just bought two, but our kids were very young back then and our fam couldn't finish off all the crab meat in one sitting.  Plus, I think the kids got bored and wandered off after a while... it took FOREVER to crack those crabs and get all the meat out!  So we ate our fill, and the next day, I had enough crab meat leftover to make this soup. 

I loved the soup so much that I bought crab again recently just to make it.  I got Phillips Refrigerated Crab though.... I'm not into cracking crabs right now, and I've only seen tiny ones here that are probably only sold as fishing bait.  Sadly, now that my kids are older, they don't want to eat crab anymore.  :(  So they weren't excited about this soup, but they still did eat it.  I think they liked it too, but just didn't want to admit it. 

The first time I made this, I had no whole milk or half and half on hand.  The original recipe calls for 2 cups of each.  So, I used one can of evaporated milk and 1% for the rest.  There's plenty of flour in this to thicken it enough... it probably would have been almost solid with the higher fat products!  However, if you don't want to use evap. milk, check out the original recipe

My flour ended up sticking the pan as this cooked... just stir very often and it probably won't happen to you.

Crabmeat and Corn Soup
adapted from Allrecipes

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk, plus enough 1% milk to equal 4 cups of liquid
1 3/4 cups whole kernel corn
1 cup chopped green onions or 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
1 pound crab meat
1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 dash soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped parsley

1.In a heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter, add flour, and stir gently until blended; do not burn or let it darken. Add evaporated milk and 1% milk gradually, stirring all the while, stirring gently while blending. Add corn and green onions, and cook for a few minutes until tender.

2.Add crabmeat, pepper, salt, and soy sauce and simmer (and stir!) until very hot and small bubbles form around the edge; do not let boil. Adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with sprinkles of chopped fresh parsley when serving and serve hot.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

2 comments:

JelliDonut said...

This soup sounds delicious! I'm going to try it when the fresh corn hits our markets. And I'm with you--forget the half and half. My arteries will like your version better!

LadyJayPee said...

I love me some corn chowder. Never had it with crab, I don't think, but sounds delish!