Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hot Chocolate on a Stick

This recipe is so fun.  I first heard about it from a cooking friend, and it seems to be quite popular on blogs.  It's just an easy fudge- after it sets, you cut squares and impale them upon sticks.  Then stir into very hot milk until it melts and becomes hot chocolate, or you can microwave a square right in your milk. 

I don't have any "action shots" of these, but I assure you that the hot chocolate made from these is very good!  I did have a little problem with this recipe not setting up.  I left it out at cool room temp overnight.  The next morning, I went to cut it (so I could give some away) and it was still all gooey!!  I had to leave, but I stuck it in the fridge.  When I came back, it was still too soft to cut, so I finally stuck it in the freezer and then I was finally able to cut it.  So..... next time, I'd stick it in the fridge overnight- that might work.  You can always stick it in the freezer if you find it's still too soft.  I'm not sure if mine just did not set up (because of the humidity here) or if the recipe is supposed to be that way.  Oh well, as long as I know for next time! 

It'd be fun to sprinkle the tops of these with crushed candycanes, as the blogger I got this from suggested.  I've also seen homemade marshmallows topping these on other blogs.  Maybe I can try a white chocolate version sometime for white hot chocolate!  ;)

I had leftover evaporated milk from another recipe, so I used that in place of the heavy cream.  (Maybe that's why mine was so soft, who knows?)  I was able to not waste the milk, AND I didn't have to open a container of cream for such a small amount. 
Hot Chocolate on a Stick
adapted from What Megan's Making

½ cup heavy cream (I used evaporated milk)
14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (1 1/4 cups)
3 cups (18 oz) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (chopped chocolate bars or chips)
3/4 cup (4 oz) unsweetened baking chocolate
wooden sticks

1.  Line an 8" x 8" pan with parchment paper. Heat the cream (or evaporated milk) and condensed milk over low heat until steaming; stir frequently. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate; allow it to gently melt. After about 10 minutes, return the chocolate mixture to low heat to completely melt the chocolate. Whisk vigorously until the mixture is thick and shiny. At this point you could ddd a few drops of flavoring (I used vanilla). Pour the chocolate mixture into the pan; shake the pan gently to level. Sprinkle with cocoa, if desired. Set aside overnight to slowly harden- or refrigerate.

2.  Run a knife around the edge of the pan and turn out onto a clean cutting surface. Slice into 1 ¼" cubes (or size desired for serving). Heat a knife in hot water and wipe dry before each cut, for smoothest cuts. Stick a wooden stick into the center of each block. Roll in cocoa or crushed peppermint candy, if desired. Wrap in waxed paper, parchment, or plastic wrap to store.  These will keep at room temperature 3-4 days, in the fridge about 10 days, in the freezer up to 30 days.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: