Saturday, September 1, 2012

Toffee Bars (Bar Cookies)

These were delicious and so easy, too.  I actually made them quite a while ago.  I'm trying to get all caught up with blogging everything.  I made these for a friend who was home bound for a while.  I'm glad I tried them; they are from my old Betty Crocker cookbook.  It's my oldest cookbook; purchased in 2000!  ;)

Toffee Bars
adapted from Betty Crocker

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg yolk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional

1.  Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, vanilla and egg yolk. Stir in flour and salt. Press into pan.

2.  Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until very light brown (crust will be soft). Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips on hot crust. Let stand about 5 minutes or until chocolate is soft; spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts.

3.  Cool 30 minutes in pan on cooling rack. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 4 rows.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**

No comments: