Buttermilk Skillet Cake with Praline Topping
adapted from Joy the Baker
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
6 TB unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
good pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat your oven to 375' F. Grease and flour an 10.5" cast iron skillet, along the bottom and up the sides.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another medium bowl, with a stand or hand mixer, cream together the granulated sugar and butter until fully incorporated, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and yolk, one at a time, beating for 1 minute between the two. Beat in the vanilla.
3. With the mixer on low, add half of the flour. Beat until incorporated. Add the buttermilk, and beat again until incorporated. Finally, beat in the remaining flour until almost fully incorporated. Stop beating and continue with a spatula to fully incorporate the flour.
4. Pour / spoon the batter into your prepared pan. Smooth the batter in the pan evenly. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. While the cake is baking, make the Praline Topping: Combine the brown sugar, butter, cream and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a soft boil and let boil for 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it, stirring frequently. After 3 minutes, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and nuts. Allow to set for about 20 minutes to thicken up a bit. Spread over warm cake.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **