Saturday, March 23, 2013

Cookies & Cream Ice Cream, Take Two

Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
I first made a Cookies & Cream recipe back in 2009.  I just made it up using stuff I had on hand, and while it was pretty good, it wasn't really creamy enough.  This time around, I just changed one ingredient to make it a lot more creamy. 
Cookies & Cream
My fam loved this, of course..... it's ice cream.  But, I was inspired to make it after going to one of our favorite new places on the island.  They make their own ice cream and the cookies and cream is soooooo good.  BTW, I have the older version of this ice cream maker.... LOVE it and use it all the time, ever since I bought it back in 2008.

Cookies & Cream Ice Cream
adapted from this recipe

2 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup light cream
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
20 double-stuffed Oreos, coarsley chopped (or regular Oreos)

1.  In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk until hot (not boiling). Stir occasionally. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light in color. (I use my Kitchenaid for this). Add about a cup of the hot milk to the egg yolks, whisking well the whole time. Whisk until incorporated, and then add the whole mixture back to the pot of hot milk. Stir well, over medium-low heat, until mixture thickens slightly, reaches at least 160 degrees F, and lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon.

2.  Place a fine-meshed sieve over a clean bowl. Pour the milk mixture through the sieve, into the bowl. Add two creams and vanilla extract, stir. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, freeze in your ice-cream maker. When the ice cream comes out of the machine, stir in the chopped Oreos, and freeze in the freezer for a few hours, or overnight (in a freezer-safe container). 
Note:  If you just eat this soft-serve and do not freeze, the Oreos will not get all soft and yummy in the ice cream.  I prefer this, and most ice creams, after sitting in the freezer for at least a few hours.
Cookies & Cream
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: