Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cauliflower Cheddar Soup

Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
I made this soup when I had a head of cauliflower in the fridge and some shredded cheddar to use up.  I usually roast my cauliflower, but was in the mood for something different.  I mistakenly thought my kids would love this, since they LOVE Broccoli Cheddar Soup, but no.  They were all weirded out by this soup, for some reason.  "It tastes JUST like Broccoli Cheese!"  I said.  But all I got were dubious looks.  I think my daughter might have tried some.  But my husband and I had to eat it, and I ate it for lunch for like 2-3 days after.  But, it is really good.  I think I let it boil too much without stirring, because the flour turned a touch grainy, but I think if you just watch it more carefully than I did, it should be fine.
Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
adapted from Taste of Home

1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon base
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
 
1.  In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
 
2.  Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 15-20 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
 
Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: