Monday, April 8, 2013

Crockpot Corn Chowder

Crockpot Corn Chowder
This chowder was easy and I always love a crockpot recipe.  The flavors really improved sitting in the fridge overnight; the first night, it was good, but I thought it could have been more flavorful.  However, my husband loved it right away.  We had this with these Mini Pretzel Sliders

This chowder is pureed, but I thought pureeing the corn was kind of weird, so next time, I'd just puree the potatoes, THEN add the frozen corn and let it cook and heat through.  I actually stopped pureeing about halfway through so I still had some chunks.  An immersion blender is the only way to puree soups.  :)

Crockpot Corn Chowder
adapted from Mama Loves Food!
note: I cut this in half; original recipe was HUGE!

3-5 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
1+ pounds potatoes (approximately 3 medium sized potatoes), NOT peeled, diced in 1/4 inch cubes
4 cups kernel corn (I used frozen)
1/2 medium/large sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup chopped celery
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste
16 ounces (2 cups) chicken stock
8 ounces (1 cup) half & half (or almond milk + some Greek plain yogurt)
salt & pepper

1.  Combine all ingredients EXCEPT half & half in the slow cooker (I also only put in half of my bacon at first... kept the rest for a garnish.  I also chose to add my corn later).   Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours.

2.  Blend about half the soup using an immersion blender (or just scoop it into your upright blender then return to slow cooker).

3.  Add half & half and corn, if you didn't add before, and continue cooking, uncovered, for about another 15 minutes, until heated through. Salt and pepper to taste.  Serve and enjoy!
Crockpot Corn Chowder
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: