Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Cheese & Tomato Tart

I meant to make this during the summer with peak-of-season tomatoes, but I just didn't get to it with moving in and everything.  We're still getting semi-decent tomatoes here, so I decided to just make it with those.  Well, it was super delicious; I can't even imagine how good it would be with homegrown summer tomatoes.  My husband and I loved this.  (My frozen puff pastry package came with two, so I made one plain one for the kids with cheese and bacon.  Lol.  I knew they wouldn't go for the tomatoes.... weirdos.  And, making this made me realize I need to take advantage of using store-bought puff pastry more often!  It's awesome!!)
Cheese & Tomato Tart
adapted from The Kitchn

2 ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/8-inch slices
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (approx)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (approx)
2 tablespoons finely chopped basil (or dried)
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400°. Lay out the tomato slices on a large sheet of paper towels. Cover with more paper towels and allow to drain for approximately 30 minutes (this is crucial to not getting a watery tart). Meanwhile, remove the sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. (Mine was not thawed in 30 minutes and cracked when I tried to unroll it- err on the side of more time to thaw.)

2. Unfold the puff pastry onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, pinching to close any holes in the seams. Using a fork, prick the dough all over to prevent it from puffing up during baking.

3. Sprinkle the puff pastry evenly with shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Arrange the tomato slices over the cheese. Season generously with kosher salt and pepper. Grate a generous amount of Parmesan cheese on top and garnish with freshly chopped basil or sprinkle on some dried.

4. Bake for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove the pastry from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
**This post and photos property of dishingwithdish.blogspot.com **

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! Looks fabulous!