Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Dulce de Leche Molten Lava Cakes

A few weeks ago, a FB friend pointed out a recipe for Dulce de Leche Molten Lava Cakes to me, since she knows I like Dulce de Leche (and maybe she knows I also like Lava Cakes- like these chocolate ones).   I looked up a few different recipes to find one that made enough for my fam, and went for it.  My family loved these- they're a bit sweeter than the chocolate version, but a lot less butter is used for these.  :)

The runny middle reminds me of a popular Portuguese dessert called Camel's Spit or Camel's Drool.  Lol.  But I like the texture of the cakes better than that dessert.  You'll need 6 ramekins for this recipe, all the same size. (The original recipe uses 8 ramekins, but even my 6 cakes were so tiny, I have no idea how this would work with 8.  They'd be like 1 centimeter high.)
 Dulce de Leche Molten Lava Cakes
adapted from Honest Cooking

113g (1/4 stick) butter, melted
260g (1 cup) dulce de leche, slightly warm
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
2 tbsp sugar
⅛ tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
31g (1/4 cup) Flour

1.  Preheat oven to 425F. Butter and flour 6 ramekins and transfer to a baking sheet.  Whisk together dulce de leche and butter, set aside. Sift salt, cinnamon and flour and set aside.  Whip eggs, yolks and sugar until doubled in volume and can hold a ribbon of mixture without disappearing quickly (I used my stand mixer here).  Add dulce de leche and whip until combined. Slowly add dry ingredients and vanilla and whisk to combine. 

2.  Divide batter among the ramekins. Leave about 1 cm from the top.  Bake cakes until golden brown but still jiggle in the middle, about 10-13 minutes.  Run a knife along the edge of the ramekin to loosen and invert onto plate.  Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream or enjoy as is
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, wow! Now you are speaking my language!