Iranian Yogurt & Spinach Dip- Borani Esfanaaj
adapted from Food
6 ounces baby spinach
2 medium cloves garlic
1 tablespoon unrefined extra virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle
2 cups Greek or Balkan yogurt (thick type only please)
sea salt, to taste
1 teaspoon dried mint (only use dried please!)
1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see recipe)
1. Toast chopped walnuts in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Be careful not to burn! Set aside to cool.
2. Steam baby spinach until just wilted. Drain well and chop fine.
3. Mince 1 clove garlic and saute in 1 tbs unrefined extra virgin olive oil, then add the chopped spinach and a pinch or two sea salt. Stir. Remove from stove and allow to cool, then squeeze out excess liquid.
4. In a bowl and the yogurt, other garlic clove (raw-minced), baby spinach, and dried mint and sea salt to taste, stir gently. Transfer to the bowl you are serving it in (I use a shallow, round bowl) and sprinkle with toasted, chopped walnuts and a trail of unrefined extra virgin olive oil.
5. Serve with lavash (flatbread from Iran).
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **