Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup


I made this a few weeks ago and the whole family really liked it.  Then I was looking through my blog and realized I've made really similar soups at least three times.  Lol!!  Here, here, and here. Oh well- I must really like this flavor combination.  I'm posting this anyway- it has baby kale in it, so it's different enough.  :) And, the first time I've ever used kale! It was good in this soup. I did cut down on the quantities of some ingredients in this recipe- I don't think it would have fit in my very large crockpot if I hadn't.  My changes reflected below. 
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
adapted from Dash of Sanity

2, 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth (1 quart)
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cup baby kale, roughly chopped
1 cup heavy cream or half-n-half
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1 9 ounce package Cheese Tortellini (I used ricotta & spinach)

1.  In a large pan add sausage, onion and garlic. Brown and crumble the sausage and veggies over medium-high heat until the sausage is completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.  Once sausage is cooked remove from heat and drain excess grease.

2.  In a 6 qt. slow cooker add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, cooked sausage and all of the seasonings.  Add lid onto slow cooker and cook on high for 2-3 hours or love 4-5.

3.  Add heavy cream, shredded parmesan cheese and tortellini and cook for another 20 minutes. Then add chopped kale and cook another 10 minutes. Serve and garnish with more cheese if desired.  
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: