Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Mom's Pumpkin Muffins


My mom has been making these ever since the 90's, and they make me feel nostalgic.  We recently visited my parents for Christmas, and she made a batch while we were there.  My kids loved them, and couldn't get enough.  I made them soon after returning home.  I made them twice, experimenting with lessening the oil amount each time.  (It calls for 1.5 cups of oil.)  The first time, I subbed in 1/2 cup of applesauce and used 1 cup of oil.  The next time, I used half oil, half applesauce, and they were just as good, so I'll do that from now on.  (So, 3/4 cup of each.)

Mom's Pumpkin Muffins
adapted from Taste of Home

4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1-1/2 cups canola oil (can use up to half applesauce)
3 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 400 F.  In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full.

2.  Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: about 2 dozen +

*This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: