Friday, February 16, 2018

Quick Chicken Curry


My whole family loves this quick chicken curry.  I actually made it three times in only a few weeks.  The second and third time, I doubled the sauce.  I did increase the chicken by a bit but there's no need to double it.  More sauce is what everyone wanted more of.  It's delicious.  I can't get light coconut milk here anymore, so I just used full-fat.  Probably why it was so delicious! 

I love making Indian food, but I wouldn't call this Indian.  It's Indian-inspired, though!  I like using Penzey's curry powder.  I have two from them; the Sweet one, and the Penzey's Now one.  I've used both in this.

Quick Chicken Curry
adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
*I like to double the sauce- but I don't double the chicken

1 teaspoon oil (I used coconut or sunflower)
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can (13.6 ounce) lite or regular coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Hot, cooked rice for serving

1.  In a large, 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds, until it starts to smell fragrant.
Sprinkle in the curry powder, coriander and cumin. Cook for another 30 seconds, stirring to prevent burning.

2.  Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes (it doesn’t need to be cooked all the way through quite yet).  Stir in the coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.

3.  If you would like the sauce a bit thicker, whisk together the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water in a small bowl. Once combined, stir the mixture into the simmering curry. Simmer, stirring constantly, for a minute or so until the sauce thickens a bit. (No need for this if using full-fat coconut milk).

4.  Stir in the cilantro- or, serve on the side at the table. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve the curry over hot, cooked rice.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: