Friday, June 29, 2018

Buttered Balsamic Mushrooms


My 6-year old son really wanted mushrooms recently; he said they are one of his favorite foods.  I don't love mushrooms; in fact I've spent most of my life until recently saying that I don't like them, and they're one of the only foods I don't like.  But I decided to give them another shot about 2-3 years ago, and I find them ok now.  Until I tried this recipe- and I found them so delicious I ate all of my 6-year old's mushrooms because he was having a weird tantrum about something I forgot now, all during dinner.  Then he was even more sad when he came back to the table and found them all gone.  I felt a tiny bit bad, so I made them again a few days later.  And he enjoyed them tantrum-free. 
Buttered Balsamic Mushrooms
adapted from the Kitchn

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large or 2 small shallots, peeled and finely diced (I used part of a sweet onion)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 pound white or cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/8-inch thick
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves (can use 1 tsp. dry thyme)
1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, to taste
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire or soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated

1.  Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat until shimmering, about 15 to 20 seconds. Add the shallots and cook until they begin to soften and brown at the edges, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes.

2.  Add 2 tablespoons of the butter and stir until melted. Add the mushrooms, salt, pepper, and rosemary or thyme and stir well. Cook, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until the mushrooms have a rich brown color on the edges and some of the sides, and have just begin to release their juices, 3 to 4 minutes.

3.  Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire or soy sauce, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and tender and the liquid reduces in volume considerably, thickens to the consistency of agave or maple syrup, and coats the mushrooms, 6 to 8 minutes.

4.  Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and stir constantly, allowing the butter to melt completely and coat the mushrooms, until they shine and the sauce is a bit lighter in color, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: