Monday, April 7, 2008

Soup, Wonderful Soup! (Again!)


I just love soup. I might have mentioned that before. I love all kinds, but especially creamy ones. I might have mentioned that before, too. Here is one of my all-time fave recipes, Broccoli Cheese Soup. It is soooo wonderful. Of course, I always use Tillamook Sharp Cheddar. ;)



Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 pound fresh broccoli, chopped coarsely
1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 1% milk
8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1. Melt butter over medium heat in a stockpot. Cook onion in butter until softened. Add garlic and pepper; cook for 1 minute then stir in broccoli, and stir in chicken broth. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile whisk flour into milk until dissolved. Stir into soup stirring frequently until thickened. Reduce heat, and stir in cheese until melted and heated through.


Of course, a meal of this soup, or any soup, wouldn't be complete without some kind of bread product, mainly for dipping. My family loves Light Wheat Rolls. I use the recipe as directed, but shape them into cresents instead of using the muffin cups. I would have to say that this is my favorite roll recipe. I've made this one over and over.


The last time I was making these, I put some butter on the stove to melt (for brushing the tops) and I walked away. Well, I should never do that while melting butter! I forgot all about it, only to return to the stove and see my butter all burnt and brown. I set it aside and started over with new butter. Later though, I remembered seeing recipes for "Burnt Butter Frosting" and the like. I found a recipe for the frosting (cut the recipe in half) and thought it would be delicious on some Blondies, so I made these without the chocolate chips. Together, these two recipes make a delicious, moist, chewy, carmely bar of goodness! They didn't last 24 hours in my house (oops!), and the kids didn't even want any because they had nuts. Too bad for them!


13 comments:

Eash Family said...

Michelle, I love reading your blog! You take such cool photos of your delicious kitchen creations that I want to come over and eat at your house everyday! I have been coming here to get dinner inspirations now. Thanks and keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

Great save on the browned butter!

Alyson's Wonderland said...

I would have been right there with you eating those blondies!

Carrie said...

I love soup too. It's so perfect...it's like a nice big hug in a bowl. Or something.

Linda said...

Dishy, sigh..., I want to come & eat at your house. Holding the kids in my lap while you cook!

LadyJayPee said...

I want to make those rolls, Dishy. And the idea of burnt butter frosting is making me drool!

Steph said...

Yum! Soup, rolls and brownies, exactly what I love, not in order, of course! I will definitely have to try those brownies, I think I would eat every last bite!

Shelby said...

hmmm, if the kids didn't eat those bars with all that yummy looking browned butter frosting, then I wonder just who did! :-p

What a Dish! said...

Thanks, everyone! :D JPee, I still have a little bit of the burnt butter frosting hanging out in my fridge. I'm not sure what to do with it! I might be forced to make cookies or something so I can use it up. Lol.

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

My 10-year old asked me if I knew what blondies were just the other day (I've never made them) and I looked at a few recipes with her, but those things look AWESOME Dishy! I'm going to show them to her! :)

LadyJayPee said...

I made this soup last night and it was deLISH! Only thing missing was the light wheat rolls, but they're on my list. :)

Lisa said...

I saw this soup on Eating, Etc., and decided to make it for lunch today. I am eating it right now! It is DELICIOUS!!! OMG, I LOVE IT!! It tastes just like a casserole my mom used to make all the time when I was little. I love the casserole, but it uses tons of processed ingredients so I never make it anymore. This soup is PERFECT! The only thing I added was a dash of cayenne pepper for some kick. Thank you so much for posting this! It was quick, easy, and cheap, too.

What a Dish! said...

Lisa, I'm so glad you liked it! Yay! This is one of my top 5 fave soups.