Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter
20 ounces marshmallows, large or mini
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of coarse, kosher salt
7 cups (7 ounces) rice krispies (or other brand) cereal
20-24 Oreo cookies (about 8-10 ounces), coarsely chopped or crushed
1. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9X13-inch pan. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan (you'll be making the whole recipe in here- use a big soup pot), melt the butter on low or medium-low heat and let it cook until the solids start to turn golden brown and it smells caramelly and fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the marshmallows and cook on low, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mostly melted, a few small lumps here and there are ok. Add the vanilla and salt and stir to combine.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and add the rice krispies and Oreos. Stir until evenly combined; scrape up the bottom of the pan really well to make sure to incorporate all the marshmallows.
5. Scoop the mixture into the prepared pan and press the mixture into the pan with lightly greased hands (smashing them down too hard will result in firm rice krispie treats - so use a gentle hand if you want them chewy). Let cool before slicing into squares.