Monday, November 9, 2015

Pasta alla Mamma Rosa


My son attends an Italian preschool here, and they have delicious-looking lunches every day.  They post the menu daily and my son loves looking at it to see what he'll be eating that day. (So do I!)  One day, they had a picture of pasta and the label said "Pasta alla Mamma Rosa".  It looked good and I was curious, so I went home and looked up a recipe online to see what it was.  It's kind of like pasta with vodka sauce, except the sauce here doesn't have any vodka and uses ham or pancetta.  You add cream to it to make the sauce pink.  I finally made this recipe last week.  (Note: this recipe is in grams since my ingredients were all in grams.)
Pasta alla Mamma Rosa
adapted from La Erika in Cucina

olive oil
500 grams pasta (I used linguine piccolo)
1 medium onion, chopped (yellow/white)
200 grams cubed pancetta affumicata (smoked), OR cubed ham or bacon
700 grams passata di pomodoro (smooth tomato sauce)
100-150 ml cream
fresh basil, chopped
fresh black pepper

1.  Cook pasta according to package directions.

2.  Meanwhile, saute the onion in the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  When it has softened, add the ham or pancetta and cook and stir for a few minutes.  Pour in the passata (tomato sauce) and let cook and reduce for a little bit.  Then, stir in as much cream as you want.  Finally, add the fresh basil and black pepper and serve over cooked pasta.  
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one