Monday, January 30, 2023

Mexican Street Corn (Elotes) Dip

Oh wow, I absolutely loved this dip. I made it for our dinner a bit ago, just because I wanted to- no special occasion, except my local store had delicious tortilla chips- the kind made from whole fried tortillas- usually impossible to find here. They were wonderful with this dip. The brand was Cazo de Oro. They reminded me of Juanita's tortilla chips sold in the NW. Sadly, they are all gone now, and I can't find more. I added some Trader Joe's "Everything But the Elote" seasoning mix to this recipe, making it even better. (I added that in lieu of the salt/pepper.) 

PS: I used canned corn for this, per the recipe, and it was wonderful. This might be the first time I've ever used canned corn (besides creamed corn, for recipes). It didn't have the "canned corn" taste like I feared, and the original recipe stated canned corn held up better for this recipe than frozen. I used one can white, one can yellow.  I also used Japanese Kewpie Mayo; which I think made this even more divine! Use what you have, though.  


Mexican Street Corn (Elotes) Dip
adapted from Carlsbad Cravings

12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tsp EACH salt, pepper OR 1 tsp TJ's "Everything But the Elote Seasoning"

ADD LATER
4 oz. can diced green chiles, drained (I used Hatch green chilis- yum)
4 oz. can diced jalapeno peppers, drained (or less to taste)
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (measure before chopping)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese, divided
1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled, divided (OR use crumbled Feta)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2, 15 oz. cans sweet corn, drained, rinsed, air-dried for a bit (I used one can white, one can yellow)
2 cloves garlic, minced

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Add cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice and all seasonings to a large bowl. Stir until combined (use a handheld mixer if desired to make it extra creamy).  Stir in green chilies, jalapenos (add to taste), cilantro, green onions, cheddar, 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, and ¼ cup Cotija/Feta; set aside.

2.  Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook for 5-7 mins, until slightly charred. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Transfer corn to the cream cheese mixture and stir to combine.

3.  Spoon mixture into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish or 10” skillet and spread into an even layer. Evenly top with remaining 1 cup pepper Jack and ¼ cup Cotija/Feta cheese.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly. Garnish with additional cilantro, Cotija and jalapenos or hot sauce if desired. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.


**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: