Monday, February 1, 2010

Shredded Beef Tacos

This is an easy, no-brainer recipe for taco meat.  It's almost too easy.  I make it in the crockpot.  You throw a roast in the crockpot with a short list of ingredients, shred it about 8 hours later, build some tacos with it, and you have dinner!  I would use a Mexican brand of tomato sauce, like El Pato, but that isn't available here.  I can get some Goya brand products, so I used thier "Spanish-style" tomato sauce.  Yes, I realize Mexican products and Spanish products are not the same, but either Mexican or Spanish-style tomato sauce will work in this recipe.  If you can't find either one, just use regular ol' plain tomato sauce and add some of your own spices!  (I used homemade taco seasoning mix for this recipe).

Shredded Beef for Tacos
by What a Dish!

1 beef roast, 2-3 pounds (I used a rump roast)
1 can (8 oz.) Spanish or Mexican tomato sauce
1/2 cup salsa
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 cup beef broth

Place the beef roast in a large crockpot.  Add all of the ingredients over it.  Cover, and cook on low for 8 hours, or until meat is tender and shreds easily with a fork.  (May want to turn the roast over a few times during cooking).  When ready to eat, shred the meat with two forks and use on tacos (or burritos). 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Oh YUM!!!! I've been wanting to make this for a long time...finding a roast that size is actually hard over here..lol Im going to head to the butcher to see if I have better luck. I sure wish we were neighbors!

Linda said...

Looks very, very delicious. You'd better watch out using Spanish products where you are, Dish. ;)

I just saw a Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives episode where a restaurant made "authentic" tacos using something that sounds a lot like this! I love using rump roast.

Did you make your own taco shells? Those look really yummy.

What a Dish! said...

Thanks, Sonya! I hope you are able to find a roast one day, lol. Good idea on asking the butcher! Or maybe you know someone who has a cow.... lol.

I know Linda, I should have used Portuguese tomato sauce! Darn it! :) I actually bought the taco shells- they are whole wheat ones. Um, I might have fried them in a little bit of oil to get them a bit crispy like that.... oops.