Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Halloween (Candy Corn) Chex Mix

This is an easy and very quick fun Halloween treat to make.  The adults liked it as much as the kids- although eating too much at once isn't a good idea, as it is very sweet!  I used Snyder's Butter-Flavored Pretzel Snaps to get some of that sweet-salty flavor going on- they were really good in there.  I made this twice.  The second time, I included some White Chocolate Candy Corn M&M's (that I scored on Ebay!) but that mixture sent it almost over-the-top sweet; I prefer the Chex Mix without them.  (That batch is not pictured). 

Instead of the raisins called for in the recipe, I used a cup of mini-marshmallows.  Yeah.... way to sub a totally sugary, un-healthy ingredient for a healthy one!  Lol!  (I would have done dried cranberries, but I didn't want red in my Halloween Chex mix!).  I also used some Autum Mix (candycorns, Indian corn, and candy pumpkins) with my plain candycorns. 

To melt my white chocolate, I did NOT use a microwave- I've never had luck using one to melt chocolate, although I know some people swear by it.  I used a good-quality saucepan over the lowest heat on my stove and just stirred often.  Take it off the heat as soon as most of it is melted; continue stirring and don't worry if there are some lumps. 
Halloween Chex Mix
adapted from Chex


8oz white real chocolate, coarsely chopped (2-1/2 100gram bars)
4 cups Rice Chex Cereal
2 cups bite-size pretzels
1 cup mini-marshmallows
1 cup candy corn or Autumn Mix
Halloween Sprinkles, to taste

1.  In a small, heavy saucepan, melt white chocolate slowly, over lowest heat.  Stir frequently and do not over-heat.  Remove from heat as soon as most of it is melted; a few lumps are ok.

2.  Meanwhile, combine rest of ingredients (except Sprinkles) in a large bowl.  When chocolate is ready, mix with ingredients thouroughly, until everything is coated with white chocolate.  Now, add the sprinkles to mixture (and fold in) before the chocolate sets. 

3.  Spread on wax paper until mixture is cooled and chocolate is set.  Break into pieces and store in a large covered container.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: