Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mexican Molletes (Moyetes)

This is a delicious, simple dish.  These are Mexican Moyetes, sometimes spelled Molletes.  A friend from Mexico taught a group of ladies from my church how to make these.  I think if Bolillos are available, those are what is typically used, but over here, thick loaves of Italian bread suffice.  You take slices of bread, spread some softened butter over them, and brown them, butter side-down, on a griddle.  Then you spread refried beans over them, top that with cheese, and bake until the cheese melts.  These are then topped with Crema (make your own by mixing a small amount of milk into regular sour cream) and Pico de Gallo

My kids LOVE these!  Well, so do I (and my husband).  I tried to make homemade beans when I tried these at home, but I think my beans were old, because I soaked them overnight, cooked them FORever, and they were still not tender enough!  Next time, I am just going to use storebought refried beans. 

The recipe below is just rough measurments, since that's what I did when I made them.  :)  This makes quite a lot if you use the whole loaf of bread.
Mexican Molletes (Moyetes)
from my Friend A.P.

1 large loaf Italian or French bread (not a baguette)
Soft butter
Refried beans, one or two cans (or homemade)
Shredded cheese; I used a Mexican blend
About 1 cup sour cream
1-2 Tablespoons milk
Fresh Pico de Gallo, for serving

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Slice the loaf of bread lengthwise first, and then cut into individual-sized pieces.  (So they look like boats).  Pre-heat a large skillet or counter-top griddle to about 350.  Spread softened butter over the cut, flat sides of the bread.  Brown the bread slices, butter side down, until a bit browned and crispy.

2.  Remove the bread slices onto baking sheets, buttered-side-up.  Spread the browned surfaces with refried beans, and top that with cheese.  Add as much or as little as you want.  Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the beans are warmed through and the cheese is melted.

3.  Meanwhile, whisk the milk into the sour cream.  Start with 1 Tablespoon, or even less, and then add milk, if needed, to get a slightly runny, but still thick, consistency.  This is your Crema. 

4.  When the Molletes are done, serve with the Crema and Pico do Gallo for topping.  Some of my kids love both the crema and Pico, or they can choose just the Crema or even eat one "plain".  These are yummy, and versatile! 
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: