Saturday, July 7, 2012

Queso Blanco Dip

I've spotted various white cheese dip recipes on the internet in the past year or so, and they all sparked my interest and made me want to make some!  Almost every recipe I've seen calls for melted white American cheese, and I really didn't want to use that, so I never actually made any of those recipes.  Then, they started selling Mexican Asadero cheese at my local store, so I bought some and finally found a recipe online for white cheese dip, using Asadero instead of white American!  I was so happy! 

This particular recipe is also different in that it uses a white sauce (bechamel).  That's the base of every Mac & Cheese recipe I make, so I am very good at making it!  (We have way too much mac and cheese around here....)  This recipe was so easy.  I actually made it for dinner after a long day at the pool, and we had this dip with chips, and some fruits and veggies on the side.  Everyone loved it!  The kids just ate it up.  It was so good!  I used pickled jalapenos and only put a little bit in; next time I would add more.  Actually, next time I think I'll use a mix of sharp cheddar and pepper-jack cheese.  I loved the Asadero in here, but I would like more of a kick, and plus, the Asadero was kind of expensive!  Lol. 

Two years ago I made a yellow Chile con Queso dip... which we all loved, as well!
Queso Blanco Dip
adapted from Rockin' Robin's Mexican Recipes

1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped (I omitted this because of time)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp. ground cumin
4 oz. canned chopped green chiles, drained
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined, and finely chopped OR similar amount pickled jalapenos
10-12 oz. monterey jack OR Mexican asadero cheese, shredded
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste

1.  In a small skillet, saute onion in olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent burning.  Add the garlic, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 min. Set aside.

2.  In a 2 quart sauce pan, melt the butter over very low heat.  Once the butter is just melted, add the flour and stir with a whisk to blend it together.  Turn the heat up just a little bit so that you can see the flour/butter mixture slightly bubbling. Stir constantly for 1 minute.  Now add a little milk while continuing to stir with the whisk. Add the rest of the milk and turn the heat up to medium.  Continue to whisk for about 5 to 10 minutes. You will notice the sauce thickening.

3.  Turn the heat down just a little and add the cumin, onion and garlic mixture, the green chiles, and the jalapenos. Stir until well mixed and hot.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
 
4.  Turn off the heat and add the shredded cheese, one handful at a time.  Stir each handful in with the whisk until melted. Keep adding handfuls and stirring until all the cheese is mixed in and creamy.  Serve immediately.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Linda said...

This looks and sounds so, so good. Thanks for sharing it!