Friday, May 24, 2013

Tortilla Cheese Crisps

Cheese Crisp
This dish is so easy, it's hardly a "recipe".  I've been making a version of this since I was a teenager, when I accidentally discovered it.  I was trying to just melt cheese on a tortilla in the oven so I could roll it up and eat it that way.  I left it in too long and it got all crunchy, crispy, and delicious.  It turns out these are a real thing, though!  Check out this link for Arizona Cheese Crisps.  After deciding to put this on the blog, I googled these and found many variations, some using butter, green chilies, or corn tortillas.  My version is very simple- take your favorite flour tortillas, layer on favorite shredded cheese, and bake for a few minutes in a very hot oven until it gets crispy.
Cheese Crisp
I made these to go with for dinner for my kids a few weeks ago because I had tortillas and cheese to use up.  I think I made them to go with soup- I can't remember.  I was thinking they might not like them because they've been food-weird lately.  Well, they were all excited to try them and LOVED them.  Now they ask for them.  I think it's because I cut it like a pizza- seriously.  Who knows the mayhem that may have happened had I left it in a whole circle shape.  

Tortilla Cheese Crisps 
by What a Dish!

favorite flour tortillas
favorite cheese, shredded (I like cheddar, or Colby-jack)
salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole, for serving, optional

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  On a large baking sheet or pizza pan, lay out tortillas flat.  Sprinkle with cheese and bake in the hot oven until the edges turn brown and tortilla is crispy, about 5-10 minutes.  Let cool for one minute and then cut into wedges, if desired, and serve with salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole.  

                                                   **This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: