Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Classic No-Bake Cookies

Back in April, I posted two recipes for "fancy" (ha ha) no-bake cookies; one using Nutella, the other using Biscoff.  Those were delicious, but the other day, I made regular old-fashioned no-bakes, using cocoa powder and peanut butter. I figured I'd post the recipe here, so I don't have to go looking next time.

I use one from Allrecipes that includes a little less sugar, and also includes a little longer boiling time. A too-short boiling time is why sometimes batches will turn out gloppy and soft without ever setting up.  I'm not sure why one minute works for some people and not others, but I personally need to boil one and a half to almost two minutes for my cookies to come out properly.  I boil these for almost 2 minutes, and they come out perfectly, for me.  Your humidity, kitchen, pan, underwear, and sea level might make a difference.  I'm actually not sure what makes a difference.  So if you try these and they don't work out for you, experiment a little with the boiling time.  These cookies are like making fudge, where enough liquid has to boil off to form them correctly.
Classic No-Bake Cookies
adapted from Allrecipes
Makes 2-3 dozen, depending on size
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 cups quick-cooking oats*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.  Have peanut butter, oats, and vanilla ready to go (measure out pb and oats).  In a medium, heavy saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa.  Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes (can cook for 1 minute + 45 seconds to make sure they set up).  Remove from heat, and immediately stir in peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool until hardened.
*If making gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free oats (will say on the package).  

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

No comments: