Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Garlic-Lime Fajitas

Yesterday, we had fajitas for dinner, and I'm pretty sure they were the best ones I've ever had. I've made fajitas lots of times, using different recipes, but yesterday I decided to just throw a marinade together with stuff that sounded good. I had a package of meat, probably about 1.5-2 pounds, labeled "Beef for Fajitas". So, I have no idea what cut it was. I'm thinking it was either skirt of flank steak, but I really have no idea- I'm just guessing here! It was cut in 4 big pieces, so after a few hours of marinating, my husband grilled it up, and then we cut it into bite-sized pieces when it was done. I cooked veggies on the stove-top just until they were crisp-tender, and we had fresh tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, sharp cheddar and salsa to top our fajitas.

Garlic-Lime Beef Fajitas

Beef:
1.5- 2 pounds of beef for fajitas
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
cumin, to taste
chili powder, to taste
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1 large yellow onion, cut into wedges
1 large sweet bell pepper, cut into strips
1-2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tomato, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
light sour cream
salsa
8-10 flour tortillas

1. Stir together marinade ingredients and pour over beef. Marinate for a few hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil, and place in the oven to warm.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil and add onion and pepper. Stir-fry until cooked to your likeness- I only cooked until the veggies were crisp-tender.
4. Meanwhile, grill the beef until done- ours was a tiny bit pink in some places still. Let meat rest for a few minutes; then cut into bite-sized pieces.
5. Serve meat with veggies, tomato, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, and salsa; all wrapped in a tortilla.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I think it's impossible to go wrong with fajitas, yours look especially good!

Carrie said...

I like all of the bright colours - looks nice! Can't go wrong with Mexican food.

Pam said...

I love, love, love Mexican food. These fajitas sound great - especially the marinade.