Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Mexican-Inspired Corn Salad (Esquites)

This is my third recipe for Esquites, not to mention some other Esquites-inspired recipes on this site (soup, dip, etc). I love the flavors. This recipe is a little different and I really, really liked it. I made it for the first time recently for a potluck, and everyone loved it. I didn't get enough of it then, so I made it again after that just for our family. You can make this with fresh corn off the cob (see the original recipe link, below.) Here, I cannot get that, so I just use good-quality frozen corn. 

Mexican-Inspired Corn Salad (Esquites)

Salad:
4 large cups frozen corn, thawed and drained
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 jalapeño de-seeded and minced (I used pickled)
¼ cup diced red onion
¾ cup crumbled cotija OR Feta cheese, divided
2 scallions green and white parts, thinly sliced, divided
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves for the top (I mixed about 1/2 cup into the actual salad)
1 jalapeño thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
1 lime cut into 6 wedges, for serving (optional)

Dressing:
3 tablespoons mayo
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or bottled key lime)
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper (can sub 1 heaping tsp TJ's Elote Seasoning for all spices except smoked paprika)
⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika

1. Add the corn, red onion, garlic powder, jalapeno, ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese, and ½ of the sliced scallion to a large bowl. Toss gently. If you want cilantro in the salad, add that in now.

2. Stir together all ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl. Add the dressing to the corn mixture and toss gently. Top with the remaining ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese, ½ of the sliced scallion, the cilantro leaves, and the sliced jalapeño. Serve along with the optional lime wedges to squeeze on top.


**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: