Friday, September 14, 2012

Mini Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches (Sliders)


I loooooved these.  So did most of the fam.  I think I've made them before, over 5 years ago, but I couldn't find the recipe and I didn't take pics (gasp!) so I couldn't remember for sure.  I bought the ingredients I thought I used, though, and after a quick search, settled on this recipe.  I decided to cut the butter in half (from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup) and think that was a wise move- they still tasted fantastic with a lot less calories.  I'm so glad I can get King's Hawaiian Rolls over here- they are awesome in this recipe.   The sweet roll, combined with the ham, swiss cheese, and buttery topping are just soooo good!  We had these with homemade tomato soup and fruit, I think.  It's been a week, and my memory has been crap lately.  :)
Mini Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
adapted from Buns in My Oven

1 (12 count) package Kings Hawaiian Rolls
12 slices swiss cheese
12 thin slices ham
1/4 cup butter melted
1 tsp spicy brown mustard
1/2 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
1 tsp onion flakes (or 1/2 tsp onion powder)
1 tbsp worchestire sauce

1.  Slice all of the rolls in half and place the bottom halves in a 9x13 baking dish.
2.  Place ham and cheese on the bottom of the sliced rolls. Cover with the top half of roll.  Mix together the remaining five ingredients in a small bowl (or just the saucepan you used to melt butter) and spoon over the tops of the sandwiches. 
3.  Let sit overnight or a couple of hours.  (I only had 30 minutes to spare for this part- worked great.)
4.  Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until warmed through and the cheese is gooey and melty.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Linda said...

Believe it or not I first made these back in the late 1980s and loved them. I used to make them for every party but don't know why I haven't made them for a long time. Your post is a good reminder, and I love that you served them with tomato soup. :)

What a Dish! said...

A good recipe that has stood the test of time! ;) I first saw this in a Taste of Home mag a few years ago, I think, but it may have been a little different.

Anonymous said...

Another good way...wrap them individually in aluminum foil and place in a crock pot to be warmed. Perfect for showers or super bowl parties, people get one out when they are ready!