Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Caramelized Onion Dip

I used to just LOVE that onion dip made from Lipton's French Onion dry soup mix, combined with a tub of sour cream.  The other day, I was missing onion dip.... I don't use the dry packets anymore, full of sodium and probably MSG and who knows what else.  No matter how much I want my dippage.  I had bookmarked some homemade onion dip recipes a while back, and I went searching through them, picked one, and made it.  It was very good!  And best of all, I controlled the ingredients.  I also used low-fat sour cream.  Note: This makes a ton!  If you don't need it for a party or something, try cutting the recipe in half.

Caramelized Onion Dip
adapted from Chaos in the Kitchen

1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp beef base or 1 cube beef bouillon
1/2 cup water
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
16 oz sour cream
4 oz cream cheese

1.  Heat butter and oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.  Cook onions and garlic until soft and browned.  You want them caramelized- this takes a long time, 20-30 minutes or more.  Careful not to burn them.  Add beef base or bouillon and water and continue to cook until mixture is combined.  Season with Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Can be made in advance, cool and refrigerate onion mixture until ready to use.

2.  Using a hand held mixer (if necessary), combine sour cream, cream cheese, and onion mixture.  Chill dip at least 30 minutes or up to several days. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired before serving.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/**/

3 comments:

JelliDonut said...

Oh yum! We just LOVE caramelized onions in our house and I put them on and in everything. Going to try this recipe, since I'm like you--I don't buy the über salty dry packets anymore.

What a Dish! said...

I hope you like it if you try it! It's very good and tastes like a much better version of that other onion dip. :)

LadyJayPee said...

Good to know. I miss some of those bad-for-you flavors in favor of living longer and healthier. :D