Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sour Cream Peach Kuchen

A few days ago, I made a German-themed meal for dinner. We grilled delicous German bratwursts, we bought some Kaiser rolls, and I made Hot German Potato salad. (We also had broccoli, but I'm not sure if that's a German thing or not!). For dessert, I made this Sour Cream Peach Kuchen recipe that I'd been eyeing for a while. I'm not sure how German it is, but I know "Kuchen" means "cake" in German. It was really, really good. We loved it. I'll make it again! I've seen a raspberry version, and that would be good, too. I did used canned peaches, like the recipe calls for, but it would be out of this world with fresh! I cut the recipe in half to fit in an 8-inch square pan. I also used vanilla sugar for the crust and topping over the sour cream.

Sour Cream Peach Kuchen
from Allrecipes.com

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter
1 (29 ounce) can sliced peaches, well-drained
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

TOPPING:
2 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter* until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 8-inch baking dish. Arrange peaches over crust. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over peaches. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine egg yolks and sour cream. Spread evenly over peaches. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until golden brown. Serve warm or cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

*I made the crust in my food processor. First, combine flour, 2 TBS. sugar, baking powder and salt in the bowl of your food processor (with metal blade attached). Pulse a few times to combine. Cut up your stick of cold butter, and add that to the food processor. Pulse until blended; mine was the texture of coarse sand. Use a long-handled spoon to press the crust into pan.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for a delicious peach recipe, and this looks divine. I'm saving this to try soon. Looks so good!

EVE said...

why use only the egg yokes?? why not use whole eggs? EVE in ISRAEL

What a Dish! said...

Eve, some recipes call for only yolks to add richness or other reasons. The whites serve other purposes and should not always be used together with the yolk. Ice cream, custards, etc use yolks, while meringues and similar things only use whites.

becstar said...

I love this recipe! I actually freeze the egg whites for future use or let the kids make meringues (and a lot of mess in my kitchen!).