Friday, March 27, 2009

Chicken Korma

I made this dish recently for a potluck with an international theme. I've never eaten "real" Indian food, so maybe this is not authentic version, but I love the warm spiciness of this dish (not spicy hot.... I'm a wimp when it comes to that! I use a mild chili powder). I didn't have any ground coriander so I left that out. I love, love, love how all of the flavors taste when they're blended together. I love Garam Masala and will sometimes open my jar of the spice just to smell it. :) I was introduced to this spice by a friend from India, and I've been forever grateful. The only problem is, I just don't use it enough!

I served this dish with brown basmati rice, and garnished with lots of fresh cilantro.

Chicken Korma
from Allrecipes.com

1/4 cup cashew halves
1/4 cup boiling water
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 (1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 large onion, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon chili powder
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - diced
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt

1. Place cashews in a small bowl, and pour the boiling water over nuts. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. Place garlic and ginger in food processor and blend until smooth; set aside.

2. Heat oil in wok over medium heat. Cook the bay leaves in hot oil for 30 seconds. Stir in onion, and cook until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Mix in garlic/ginger paste, and season with coriander, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, and chili powder. Stir in chicken, and cook for about 5 minutes. 3. Pour in tomato sauce and chicken broth. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Meanwhile, place the cashews, along with the water in which they were soaked, and the cream and yogurt into food processor. Process until smooth.

5. Stir the cashew mixture into the chicken and onions. Simmer for 15-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I love Indian food! It's so delicious!

Sara said...

This looks great. I love all those spices! I don't make indian food at home nearly enough.

Susie @ Hick Chick said...

I've been thinking of ordering some garam masala from Penzey's... it is definitely going the list now! YUM!

Linda said...

Oh Dishy it looks marvelous. So interesting about the walnuts and the way they are used in this recipe.

Are the bay leaves fresh?

Anonymous said...

Yum Dishy! We have an Indian buffet here in town that I ate at once with my Berlin-teacher friend and it was so good.
Jam