Thursday, September 17, 2009

Garlic Cheese Flatbread

A few days ago, I made some delicious Tomato-Basil Soup from Eating, Etc's blog. My family really likes to have something to dip into soup, so I decided to make Garlic Cheese Flatbread from Allrecipes. I've made it a few times before, and it's always popular. I've made some changes to this recipe, which I will write in my instructions below. The dough is sticky, and it's meant to be, so only add as much flour as necessary to be able to handle it. I ended up adding about 1/2 cup extra, which is more than I did the first time making it, but I live in a very humid climate now.

You might want to double this recipe if you have a larger family- for me, it makes about a 12-inch round flat loaf. Not that I measured. :)

Garlic Cheese Flatbread
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup warm water, 105-110 degrees F
1 cups bread flour (all-purpose works, too)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 tablespoons butter, softened
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded, mixed Italian cheeses

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the surface of the warm water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to dissolve. Add the flours, salt, sugar, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, and olive oil. Beat with a sturdy spoon until dough is stiff enough to pull away from the sides of the bowl. (May need to add a little extra flour). Cover, and set aside until doubled in size, about 35 minutes. (Can use a stand mixer for this).

2. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly on a floured surface, adding a bit more flour if necessary. Roll the dough out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness or to the size of your baking sheet. (I use a round pizza pan). Place on a greased baking sheet and spread butter over the top. Sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and Italian cheese. Let rest while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Serve warm.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Looks Yummy Dishy!