Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Slow Cooker Ground Beef Chili

Today is the first day of fall, so I wanted to make something to match that (although it's still warm during the day here). I had an appointment in the late afternoon, when I'm usually making dinner, so I needed something in the crockpot. I had tomato juice, a green pepper, and fresh tomatoes to use up, also. So, this chili was born! It was nice and thick with great flavor. I added some smoked paprika as an experiment, but I don't think I added enough; I'll have to add more next time.

Slow Cooker Ground Beef Chili
1 pound lean (93/7) ground beef
1 small-medium onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2-3 fresh tomatoes (seeded, if desired; leave the peel on)
2 cups tomato juice
1 cup water
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4-1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
.
sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips, for serving
.
Brown and crumble ground beef in a skillet on the stove-top. Add to a large slow-cooker. Add the rest of ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Serve with sour cream, cheese, and chips, if desired.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Elly Rose said...

Our weather is just starting to cool down, this looks so good and filling for a cool night's dinner.

Anonymous said...

Dishy, this is my idea of chili... maybe add a little more heat since I'm not cooking for kiddos... thanks. Kathye

Sonya said...

Oh Gosh I just love homemade chili..espically with a big piece of cornbread!