Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream

I've really been in the ice cream mood lately. Even though it's November. Oh well. I thought it'd be fun to make my own cookies and cream flavor of ice cream. I started out with a simple vanilla flavor, froze it in my ice cream maker, and stirred in caorsley chopped Oreos when it came out of the machine. Then I froze it overnight. (I think this helped the Oreos to soften a little; they became one with the ice cream, just like I wanted.)

I used equal parts whole milk and light cream. Since there wasn't as much fat in there as some other ice creams I've made, the texture looks a little icy and crumbly, but once you taste it, you forget all of that. This stuff is good, melting in your mouth and tasting just like Cookies and Cream should. Of course, you could use heavy cream in place of the light cream; making the finished ice cream richer and creamier.

Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
by What a Dish

2 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups light cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
20 double-stuffed Oreos, coarsley chopped

In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk until hot (not boiling). Stir occasionally. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light in color. (I use my Kitchenaid for this). Add about a cup of the hot milk to the egg yolks, whisking well the whole time. Whisk until incorporated, and then add the whole mixture back to the pot of hot milk. Stir well, over medium-low heat, until mixture thickens slightly, reaches at least 160 degrees F, and lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon.

Place a fine-meshed sieve over a clean bowl. Pour the milk mixture through the sieve, into the bowl. Add light cream and vanilla extract, stir. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, freeze in your ice-cream maker. When the ice cream comes out of the machine, stir in the chopped Oreos, and freeze in the freezer for a few hours, or overnight.

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **