Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Good Bread

This is my mom's recipe for bread.  It's very versatile- you can use whatever kind of flour you want, and add things in (oatmeal, granola, dry milk, wheat germ, etc). It's a simple and easy recipe, too.  I made this the other day, and wanted to use my Kitchenaid for kneading the dough.  I have a smaller Kitchenaid, and too much dough taxes the motor, so I cut the recipe in half and only made one loaf.  Well, that loaf didn't have a very long life..... should have made two!  Here is the original recipe, which makes two loaves.  She's been using this recipe for years and I have fond memories of it. :)

Note: I used half white, half whole-wheat flour for this bread, and also added 1/2 cup of rolled oats.

Good Bread
from my Mom

3 cups warm water
2 packages yeast (4- 1/2 teaspoons)
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup oil
8 cups flour, divided

1.  Put the first 3 ingredients in a bowl (I used my stand mixer).  Stir until dissolved.  Add the salt, oil, and five cups flour of your choice.  Stir 100 times with a wooden spoon.  Add three cups more flour.  Mix and then turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes.  (Or, knead in stand mixer about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic). 

2.  Put into a greased bowl, turning dough once to grease all sides.  Cover and let rise until double (60-90 minutes).  Punch down.  Put into 2 greased bread pans.  Let rise about an hour, loosely covered.  Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Bake for 35-50 minutes, until bread is done.  Brush crust with butter as soon as you remove bread from oven. 

Variations- Use any type of flour, half white/half wheat, cracked wheat, oatmeal, raisins, granola, dry milk, wheat germ, etc.  This is a very forgiving recipe and most anything will work! 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: