Friday, March 5, 2010

A Local Cathedral

We drive by this cathedral quiet often, but I've never been able to get a picture- traffic is always moving too fast in this particular spot.  Last weekend, we drove to this city and parked our car.  Then we walked (and took one bus) around the city to see some of the sights.  We saw the Science museum and ate at a seafood restaurant right on the water.  When we were done, we went to a near-by bus stop so we could take a bus back to where we had parked.  I took these shots from the bus stop- what a great location!  Unfortunately, after waiting for 30 minutes, we found out the buses had stopped for the day (we asked a local who walked by).  Then we had to walk anyway, but it really wasn't as far as we thought. 

I think this cathedral is one of the largest on the islands.  The front doorways are way taller than the average person- if you look closely, (click on the photo to enlarge) you can see two people on the top of the stairs, to kind of get an idea.  In the last picture (below), you can see a view of the street running in front of the cathedral.  The street is cobblestone and the sidewalk has a cool mosaic design. 

I believe most of the large cathedrals here were built long ago, by the Spanish, during the Spanish occupation, but I'm not sure about this particular cathedral.  Next museum on our list is a local history museum, where I'm sure I'll find out more.  :)



**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

5 comments:

Allison said...

BEAUTiful pictures!

Eash Family said...

Hey, Michelle....just popping in to say I still follow your blog and I really enjoy it. We picked up some vanilla beans while in Mexico so now I can try some of the vanilla bean recipes you've posted. Do you know how long you will live in the Azores? Your photos are so gorgeous and your life seriously intrigues me. I've barely been out of Indiana, let alone the US. How are your children? Do they go to school there or do you "home school?" I want to know all about your day-to-day life.

Rachelle (from ouramazingbabies)

Sonya said...

Wow that is just beautiful..and huge!! you should think about joining in on Sundays in my city once and awhile..people would love to see your city:)

What a Dish! said...

Thanks, everyone! Sonya, I'll think about it. :)

Rachelle, great to see you! I'm glad you still read my blog! How fun about the vanill beans. I just added you on FB. :)

Linda said...

How gorgeous! I was amazed at the perspective once I clicked on the photo and saw the people--it is HUGE!

FYI, I really enjoy Sonya's Sundays in my City pics. ;)