Thursday, May 27, 2010

Happy Birthday!

One of my little boys had a birthday today, and he requested chocolate cupcakes with blue frosting.  I really like using buttermilk in baked goods, so I sought out a recipe for chocolate-buttermilk cupcakes, and found a great one on Cannelle et Vanille's blog- Magnolia's Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes.  (Does anyone remember that SNL skit about the Chronicles of Narnia and macking on some sweet Magnolia's Cupcakes w/all the "bomb frostings"??  I think that's my fave SNL skit ever.  Too bad about all the copyright stuff on that, or I would totally be posting it here!!) 

Anyway..... these cupcakes were great- I'll be using this recipe again.  Easy to put together, baked up very nicely, and soft, moist and tasty.  I cut the recipe in half because I only wanted a dozen cupcakes (there will be another party on Saturday with even more cake going on....).  This made 12 cupcakes with some batter leftover, which I turned into a small 4-inch cake for the birthday boy (using a 4-inch springform pan).  He LOVED it and my daughter was extremely, extremely jealous.  Gotta remember to make a 4-inch cake for her birthday next year!! 

I just used a simple butter frosting to top these off with, and piped it on with my Wilton 1M tip.  The birthday boy added all the sprinkles. 

Magnolia's Chocolate-Buttermilk Cupcakes
via Canelle et Vanille 
(recipe cut in half- makes about 13-14 regular-sized cupcakes)

1 stick salted butter, softened (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda

1.  In an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and the brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well incorporated. Scrape the bowl. Add the vanilla and half of the buttermilk. Add the flour and baking soda, mix and finish with the remainder of the buttermilk. Mix until well incorporated. Scoop into baking cups and bake at 350F for about 13-20 minutes.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

LadyJayPee said...

I had to look up those SNL cupcake boys. I think I found the right one. :-) Those chocolate cupcakes look & sound delish, Dishy! I want one. No, wait, I want four. :-)