Friday, May 7, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Vindaloo

Indian food in the slow cooker was something I had never thougth of, until I stumbled onto this blog and thought, "Why not?!"  So yesterday, I put this in my crockpot and let it cook for a while.  In the late afternoon, I whipped up the dough for my Yogurt Naan.  While my husband grilled the Naan outside, I cooked some brown basmati rice and steamed some peas, and then we all sat down to eat. 

I have to say that cooking Indian food in the crockpot is a great idea- the only thing is, the rich flavors of the spices were muted after the longer cooking time.  Granted, I left it in a little longer than the specified 5 hours.  I should have tasted it before serving- I would have stirred in a bit of Garam Masala.  The fam really liked this though- two of my kids couldn't get enough.  (One is going through an extremely picky stage.... we won't talk about him right now!)  I served this with my homemade yogurt to use as a garnish, and the kids really liked that too.  Sadly, I did not have any fresh cilantro on hand; I love cilantro, especially on Indian food!

Slow Cooker Chicken Vindaloo
adapted from Chaos in the Kitchen

1 lb boneless chicken thighs or breasts
1 small onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
1 cinnamon stick
2 cups tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes (16 oz.)
1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
2 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
fresh cilantro or parsley

1.Layer chicken, onion, garlic, ginger, and cinnamon stick in crock pot.

2.In a separate bowl, combine tomato sauce and all spices. Stir to mix well.

3.Taste tomato sauce and salt as desired. Pour sauce mixture into crock pot.

4.Cover crock pot and cook on low 5-7 hours.

5.Before serving roughly chop a bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley and toss gently into crock pot.

6.Garnish with more cilantro or parsley and serve with basmati rice and naan.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com**

No comments: