Sunday, April 3, 2011

Corn & Bacon Saute

This side dish was so delicious.  We had it last Friday with grilled balsamic chicken and roasted potatoes.  I loved the whole meal.  The original recipe has you cooking the bacon and onions together, but when I've done that in the past, I always end up with burnt onions.  So, I cooked the bacon first, drained most of the grease, and cooked the onions in about a tablespoon of leftover bacon grease.  This worked well- I kept the remaining bacon grease in a little cup by the stove, so I was able to add a few more drops here and there, as needed. 

I also cut the amount of corn I used in half- I knew the kids wouldn't be totally crazy about this because of the green onion.  They did eat it, but acted as expected about the green onion.  So, I used 8 oz. of frozen corn instead of the whole pound bag.  I used about 5 slices of bacon and less green onions.  The full recipe is below though; cut it in half if you desire. 

Corn & Bacon Saute
from A Well-Seasoned Life
makes a lot- cut in half for smaller families

1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
6 slices bacon, diced
16-oz. frozen corn
Seasonings: kosher salt (optional), coarse black pepper, dried thyme
4-5 green onions, sliced

1.  In a large skillet, saute the and bacon on medium-low until bacon starts to get crisp, about 10 minutes. After the bacon is crisp, remove the bacon to paper towels to drain and cook the onion in about 1 TBS of bacon grease until tender. 

2.  Add the corn and seasonings to the skillet and cook on medium-high heat until the corn is heated through and any moisture is cooked out. Return the bacon-onion mixture back to the skillet and stir it all together. Remove from heat. Add the green onions.  (Or, you may add the green onions before this and cook them down a bit if desired). 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Kim McCallie said...

Glad you and your family enjoyed the corn dish. Looks great!

Kim - A Well-Seasoned Life