Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Reindeer Cupcakes

When I saw these recently over at Culinary Concoctions by Peabody, I knew I had to make them very soon!  My kids love making cute cupcakes like this with me, and the easier, the better when it comes to my OCD ways in the kitchen.  I simply made one cupcake first to show them all, and then they made the rest all by themselves- even frosting the cupcakes.  They had a blast.  It was a bit messy for my 5-year old, but he LOVED that he did it all by himself.  (And he did pretty well, if I don't say so myself!)  I did actually bake the cupcakes while they were at school to save some time later. 
I had a hard time finding the mini chocolate donuts where I live.  I actually couldn't find them at first glance at the store (and I was getting nervous spending so long looking at the processed sweets section of the store..... people I know where there!  Lol!).  I went back again because I REALLY wanted to make these, and I finally found some- they were in a variety package of donuts.  So there were only 8 chocolate ones- we just decorated the rest of the cupcakes with sprinkles and the M&M's. 

I tried a kind-of new way to make some chocolate cupcakes I've made before.... I'll post that recipe later (like tommorrow.... hopefully). 

Reindeer Cupcakes
from Peabody

One batch chocolate cupcakes (12-24... however many you want to make)
1 batch frosting of your choice, with about 1/4-1/2 cup of it set aside to use for eyes
Chocolate Frosted Mini Donuts (12-24 of them)
red Peanut M&M’s®
Mini Chocolate Chips
Mini Pretzel Twists

1.  Bake cupcakes and let cool. Frost when completely cool.  Place remaining frosting in a piping bag.

2.  Press a red peanut M&M® into the hole of the chocolate frosted mini donut.  Secured with a bit of frosting. 

3.  Pipe two dots for eyes and press mini chocolate chips (tip side down) into the frosting to create eyes.  Break a mini pretzel twist in half (harder than it seems!) and press them into the top of the donut for antlers.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

No comments: