Monday, December 12, 2011

Coconut Oil Chocolate Cupcakes

In case you haven't heard yet, coconut oil is no longer bad for you.  It's actually a healthy fat and has many health properties.  Google it if interested.  ;)  Make sure to get extra-virgin, and organic if possible.  One of my fave on-line natural food sources, Vitacost, has it.  It imparts a nice subtle coconut flavor to baked goods, and I've also used it in stir-fries, etc. 

Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, making it a good sub for butter in baked goods.  I wanted to try it in the Magnolia bakery chocolate cupcake recipe- I needed to make cupcakes for these cute reindeer.  I forgot to soften some butter anyway, lol.  I really liked the result of using coconut oil in these.  I think the chocolate enhanced the coconut flavor.  The cupcakes were very tender, as well.

Coconut Oil Chocolate Cupcakes
adapted from Magnolia's cupcakes; recipe here
makes 13-15 cupcakes

1/2 cup extra-virgin coconut oil, room temp
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt

1.   In an electric mixer, cream together the coconut oil, sugar and the brown sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the melted chocolate and mix until well incorporated. Scrape the bowl. Add the vanilla and half of the buttermilk. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix, and finish with the remainder of the buttermilk. Mix until well incorporated. Scoop into baking cups and bake at 350F for about 13-20 minutes.
**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once even used coconut oil to make cookies. They turned out very well! :D

-Alice E

What a Dish! said...

Alice, I used it in cookies a few years ago. I should try it again sometime!

aperry said...

Can I use soymilk instead of buttermilk??