Thursday, May 31, 2012

Almond Joy Hot Chocolate

Although June comes tomorrow, this week has been cool and rainy, and last night I was really in the mood for some hot chocolate.  I've had this recipe bookmarked for a few months, so I finally got around to trying it last night.  It's very good and rich, similar to the Tres Leches Coconut Hot Chocolate of yore.  :)  But this one is different in that it uses almond milk and coconut milk together, to get those combined flavors.  I love using almond milk for this Hot Cocoa Mix, BTW.  I use store-bought because it's so creamy, yet only 40 calories per cup!  :)  (I get the shelf-stable kind; it's unsweetened.  My husband uses that now instead of cow's milk, and I use it often for cooking.  He loves when I make homemade Almond Milk, though!) 

If one used a vegan chocolate, this drink would be vegan!  I decided to go with milk chocolate though, since I prefer that flavor, as opposed to the darker chocolates.  I just cooked everything together in a little pan on the stove-top, instead of melting my chocolate first like the original recipe states. 

Almond Joy Hot Chocolate
adapted from Oh Nuts
Makes 1 large serving or 2 small ones

1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate, or mix of chocolates
1-2 drops almond extract, optional
1-2 drops vanilla extract, optional
Lyle's Golden syrup, agave nectar, OR honey, optional

1.  Combine all ingredients, except the golden syrup, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.  Whisk frequently until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.  If not sweet enough, add a squirt of Lyle's Golden syrup, agave, or honey to taste. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sonya said...

We had a wonderful streak of warm weather and now we are back into the cold,rainy days..boo! this looks like the perfect drink to serve on days like this!