Saturday, May 12, 2012

German Cheese Pretzel

When we were in Germany, my daughter got a big cheese-covered pretzel at a bakery.  I decided to make my own when we got home.  We can buy good, fresh pretzels here.  I used some good-quality white cheddar and put 2 thin slices over a pretzel, and baked it until it looked like this.  You may need to tear one of the pieces of cheese to fit.  I'm sure any good cheese would do.  Gouda, Muenster, swiss varieties, etc.  This is really good, and so filling! 
German Cheese Pretzel

1 large soft pretzel
2 pieces favorite cheese (not American, please!), thinly sliced

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Lay the pretzel on top, and lay the cheese on it.  You may need to tear the second piece into two pieces to fit evenly and cover the pretzel.

2.  Bake 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and browned in some places.  Let cool slightly before removing from the pan and eating. 

**This post and photos are property of http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/ **

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I love getting those when I go into Germany..they are a thing of beauty!

Happy Mother's Day :) I was given 3 cookbooks and one was The Perfect Scoop..seriously fell in love with it. I made a chocoalte-peanut butter ice cream today and fell head over heels in love with it..lol